Rome & Associates advises entertainment industry clients, such as motion picture producers, financiers and actors, in their daily business operations, working with them on a variety of transactional and litigation matters. We represent both domestic and foreign clients working in entertainment, particularly in the film and music industries. We serve as trusted legal counselors to our clients, and we can provide you with the legal knowledge and expertise needed to help you protect and grow your business and assets.
We have represented numerous aggrieved investors in failed projects, often handling film and television production claims related to profit participation disputes and royalty payment issues. We offer assistance in a broad range of matters, including:
- Disputes involving the interpretation of film, distribution and talent contracts.
- Film financing disputes.
- Actions involving idea submissions and the misappropriation of ideas.
- Actions involving defamation, invasion of privacy and right of publicity violations.
- In a fraud action against a producer who used funds intended for the Twilight trilogy for other, unrelated projects, we obtained a favorable judgement for our film financier client. The matter was settled for more than the invested amount and the client received multiple producer credits in several films.
- We obtained a favorable settlement for a concert producer in an action against one of the largest concert promoters in the world. The dispute arose out of a failed joint venture to stage a Broadway-themed ice skating musical.
- Our attorneys successfully defended the world-renowned opera singer Sara Brightman in a breach of contract appeal. The Ninth Circuit affirmed the lower court’s decision.